New Year is the time when we usually look back on the events of the past year, see what we learned from it and what we achieved. Then we make resolutions for the upcoming year, all the things that we want to change and accomplish in our life.
Unfortunately, New Year's resolutions are often synonymous with empty promises. Nobody takes them seriously anymore, since we all know that most people break their resolutions within the first week of January.
Here are the top 5 tips on how to actually KEEP your New Year's resolutions:
1. Make sure your goals are truly desirable for YOU. Sometimes people want to do things because "it's the right thing to do", or to make someone else happy. You will succeed only if you do it for yourself. In order for you to stay motivated, your goal must excite you on a deep inner level.
2. Make realistic resolutions. If on the back of your mind you don't really believe that your goal is achievable, your mind will resent putting in the effort towards achieving it.
3. Prioritize your goals. If you try to do too many things at once, you'll lose focus. Once the focus is gone, the motivation goes with in. Decide on which goals are more important to you, and focus on making them happen.
4. Instead of making the END GOAL your resolution, it's better to commit to the MEANS of getting to this goal. For example, instead of making "lose 50 lbs" your resolution, make your resolution to start exercising and eat healthier. Those are the things that are in your immediate control, and they will, in turn, help you reach the end goal.
5. Make gradual changes. You will not wake up on January 1st as a new person. Expect that the new habits will take a while to learn, and don't let this fact discourage you. You will have your ups and downs, but if you persist and stay focused, you will definitely reach your goals.
Imagine how proud you will be if you keep your New Year's resolutions! Let's make them all happen!
Make 2017 BIG!
Your coach, Christian